North Downs House
This project began as an extension to a detached 1930’s house located on the North Downs. The site is in an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and benefits from commanding views to the south. The existing property was, however, subject to some traffic noise.
The clients bravely accepted our suggestion that a new dwelling might be worth considering. We obtained planning permission for a new Passivhaus constructed into the hillside. Two ribbons of glass let out onto wide south-facing terraces at both levels. Because the building is ‘dug’ into the hillside and the roof is covered in planting traffic noise is significantly reduced.